Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Twelve Days of Halloween: Day 10

On the tenth day of Halloween, my true love gave to me:
Ten nuts a-roasting,
Nine apples bobbing,
Eight misshapen Milk Duds,
Seven s'mores a-melting,
Six Resse's pieces,
Five CANDY CORNS!
Four gummi worms,
3 Musketeers,
Two deviled eggs,
And a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Coffee

This week I was up in New York for a couple of days. As I zipped around the city, I was reminded of another one of the joys of the season--the smell of sugared, roasted nuts being sold from carts in the street. I bought a bunch of bags and stuffed them in my suitcase to bring home, ostensibly to serve with dessert at a mini-dinner party tomorrow. The real reason I was compelled to buy them, I think, was because my dad used to ask me to bring them back for him whenever I went up to The City. I'm going to rewarm them in the oven, and think fondly of New York--and my dad.

No comments: