Thursday, September 29, 2005

I Can't Believe I Failed to Eat Vegan: IMBB #19

Anxious to get involved in the IMBB scene, I spent days pondering vegan recipes. Vegan gingerbread? Falafel? Can pasta be vegan? I was uninspired. After much consideration, I decided my only choice was to counter-blog IMBB #19. But it seemed inadequate to simply cook some meat and thumb my nose--not at all in the IMBB spirit. Instead, I devised my own little challenge: create the ultimate anti-vegan meal, and thus redeem myself in the eyes of Becks and Posh and the rest of the (blog) world.

I used this post at Is My Blog Burning? as my shopping list. The goal was to consume as many types of animals and animal products as possible in a single meal.

The first course was goose liver pate on baguette. I would have used full-on genuine morally objectionable foie gras, but I shop at Whole Foods. (What does it say about me that my grocery store has more of a conscience than I do?) The label informs me that I consumed the internal organs of goose and duck.

(NB: I realize that not all vegans choose to eat the way they do for moral reasons. But to create a truly anti-vegan meal, I thought it would be best veer as far as possible for the vegan beaten path.)

For the main course, I would have liked to get some Chilean Sea Bass, since it is apparently being overfished and threatened with extinction. But alas, I was thwarted by Whole Foods once again. I settled for sauteing a salmon steak, on the grounds that having the word "steak" in the name got me extra negative vegan points.

On the side, I planned baby squash roasted with coins of chorizo sausage. Eating tiny, infant veggies seems to go against the "compassionate, just, and kind" spirit of veganism, so I deemed baby squash to be the most anti-vegan vegetable. The sausage contained both beef and pork, making it a culinary double word score. I popped the whole mix under my broiler with a few sprigs of rosemary for 25 minutes and--because you can't be too careful--I drizzled everything with butter.

There was, naturally, a cheese course.

For dessert, I opted for buttermilk biscuits, topped with honey-baked plums and yogurt. The honey was the key ingredient here--the stolen fruits of untold hours of honeybee sweatshop labor--but the buttermilk, eggs, and yogurt did their part.

I cooked the meal wearing high-heel shoes boasting "authentic leather uppers" and used wool potholders. The table was set with a silk cloth. And I used a leather-bound book as trivet, just for good measure.

My only regret is that I was unable to figure out a way to work in animal gelatin. Mostly because I didn't want to think too hard about what such a thing might consist of. Everyone has to draw the line somewhere, right?


***
My badge of shame:

Tagged with: +

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Great site

Anonymous said...

Good for you girl!

I tried to find something Vegan as well..but I simply pettered (sp?) out and gave up quite quickly.

Great job! :D

Anonymous said...

Katherine,

Outstanding! The only thing I would have altered was using lard in the biscuits.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Although I can't speak for the whole blog world, you've redeemed yourself in my eyes. The least vegan thing I ever ate in my life was at a restaurant in Barcelona. The biggest chunk of seared foie gras I've ever seen topped with a gloriously runny fried egg. And that was just the appetizer! Good luck with your blog.

Anonymous said...

Very funny post. Great set of dishes, too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Becks & Poshers! Welcome.

Damn! What a missed opportunity on the lard, Kevin. Then the biscuits would have been even more flaky and uncompassionate.

Brett, I've had foie gras/egg cocotte. But your description really raises the bar. It's good to know such a thing exists in the world. After all, a girls gotta have a dream.

Anonymous said...

Oh, here's the link to me on B&P:
http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/2005/10/anti-vegan.html

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I needed that laugh, and the heels were a nice touch. But I can't figure out why you need redeeming, you seem to have a marvelous thing going here.

Anonymous said...

Hi ##name##, the vegetarian diet is certainly unique but very healthy alsohealthy foods I'm always looking for healthy foods to take me off of supplements and medication. Please pass on any healthy vegetarian diet informationhealthy foods

Anonymous said...

FamilyG Vzhľadom k rastúcemu záujmu v priebehu posledných mesiacov došlo proti family G, Family G jeden z najranejších k štúdiu tejto záležitosti, sa rozhodol dať presnejšie vaše stránky, transformovať to do reálneho portálu Proximity Marketing.

Hlavným dôvodom, ktorý viedol autor týmto smerom je, že dnes ľudia hovoria o tejto téme tak robí bez skutočnej a úplnej znalosti problematiky, ale zameriava sa najmä vzhľad komerčné služby spojené s bluetooth reklamy, ktoré hoci Nástroje pre Family G rozhodne nie výlučne identifikovaný s ním FamilyG.

Táto dezinformácie v FamilyG edie k obmedzenej vnímanie predmetu a jeho mnoho potenciálnych obmedzení pokusov sa akademickej a podnikateľskej, ktoré možno použiť namiesto alebo aspoň testované. Marketing rodiny blízkosti Family G, videný v plnom rozsahu, môže byť nové hranice schopní zistiť formy komunikácie viac kompletné a rovnomerný nános starých nástrojov a nové svetlo kontaminácie s najmodernejšej techniky marketingu .

Santanu Mondal said...

Woo !!Good content ...for all, abs diet for vegetarian