Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Hunt Breakfast Revelation


What to do on the Saturday after Thanksgiving? Why, eat more, of course. Let me introduce you to a marvelous Virginia tradition, the Hunt Breakfast. Mine was dished up by a friend of the family, a classy Virginia lady (who, incidentally, appears as the hand model in the whipped cream picture below) who shall henceforth be referred to as The Hostess. The whole meal was fantastic--the photogenic ham, the creamed chipped beef, the hash browns, the bacon, the mimosas, the bloody marys--but the biscuits took the cake. (Hey, I'm not above mixing a metaphor or two when it serves my purposes.) I begged for the recipe that produced these salty, cheesy, garlicky biscuits, and The Hostess gracefully responded: "Oh, I'll tell you my secret family recipe if you really insist." I insisted. "Bisquick," she replied, and then lit a cigarette and breezed off to make sure everyone's glasses were full.

***
Secret Family Recipe Garlic Cheese Biscuits

Heat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix, until soft dough forms:
2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)

Drop 9 spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Stir together:
2 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Brush over warm biscuits. Eat immediately. Burn your mouth severely. Fail to care because biscuits are so delicious.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great entry. I sent the link to The Hostess, so she could enjoy her fame.

Anonymous said...

mmmm these sound so yummy. I will have to make these SOON. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad "The Hostess" hadn't overindulged on the Mimosas before preparing this scrumptuous feast. You also should include an order form, so we can request home delivery.

Richard C. Lambert said...

Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
Pizza delivery white plains ny